Friday, March 30, 2012

Megan's Magnificent Mac-&-Cheese

Hello everyone!

Because of the compliments I got last night on my Mac and Cheese, I've decided to post my recipe! Here we go!

Ingredients (serves 8)
- 9x13 Baking Dish
- 1 lbs Pasta (I prefer shells, I'm not a fan of elbow macaroni - too much like Kraft)
- 1 Package Bacon; diced
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Cloves Garlic; diced
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 5 oz Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- 5 oz Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- White Cheddar Cheese-Itz (crushed for top of dish)

Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Dice garlic, set aside; Dice bacon into bite sized pieces (hint: if you freeze your bacon for an hour before you dice it, it makes your life so much simpler)
- Place bacon in large frying pan; fry until just slightly crispy. Drain from fat and set aside
- Start boiling water for pasta; start cooking pasta (you'll want it very al dente)
- Place butter in frying pan and melt; add garlic and sauté.
- Add Flour and cook approx 2 mins or until bubbly
- Slowly incorporate cream, at a low simmer, continuously stirring for approx 3-5 mins until thick. Taste sauce and add salt as needed (I added 5 clicks of my salt grinder)
- I added a handful of both cheeses at this point and reduced the heat to low. Add bacon to sauce.
- By this point, your pasta should be done. It only needs about 7 minutes, it will still cook when it's in the oven so don't over do it!
- Strain pasta and return to pot. Add sauce to pasta and remaining cheese and stir until mixed well
- Place pasta mixture into baking dish and top w/ crumbled cheese-Itz. Bake 25 minutes; or until heated through
- If you like a crispy top, broil your dish for about 5 minutes until the top is browned
- Enjoy! 😄



That's it! It's pretty easy and doesn't involve too much clean-up after (if you clean as you go). I hope you all enjoy this as much as my friends did! I can't emphasize enough how important it is to taste your sauce and season it to your tastes! We are salt whores around here so what works for us may not work for all!

Please leave feedback or tweaks you made when you make it. I love variety!

No comments:

Post a Comment